Monday, November 26, 2012

Giving Thanks with a Grateful Heart


If this little face doesn't paint a picture worth a thousand words, nothing will. We have so much to be thankful for this holiday season. We have five beautiful, wonderful, lovely, sweet, ornery, unique, and I could give so many more adjectives to describe our kids, but I'll spare you. 

We had the distinct honor to watch Mariah celebrate her first Thanksgiving ever. It meant more to us than it did her but it was so neat! Those eyes on that face are twinkling! If you remember when we first were handed this child, she was scared to death. She still has those shadows of wistful expressions at times, but she has come a long way.

This post will have lots of pictures as we spent the holiday in Pittsburgh. To explain a few things first, we stayed at my parents house. There were twenty-three of us spending two nights. It was quite the adventure. Each family had a bedroom. I have one sister that lives just a few miles from my parents house so she did not stay. With that sister and her family, there were twenty-nine there for Thanksgiving!

In order for us to make things fair, we always go home for Thanksgiving and take turns eating dinner at our parents' home. This year was my parents' turn for us to be there for dinner. So, there are many pictures from the festivities there. Not to mention that my mom has a new camera and commissioned Jeremy to take over 100 pictures.

Mariah only had a heavy coat and it was in the 50's. So, like a good cousin, Josh let Mariah borrow his coat. It was a sunny day but she enjoyed the swings.
Cousin Caleb enjoyed spending time with Mariah as well.
Wagon rides were a highlight. 
Becca loved pulling Mariah!
Joshy even got in on the fun!
It may be possible that the wagon rides got a little rough. 
Pap's deer stand served as home base for a few different games.
Then Pap got the go-carts out. Yes, that is my dad driving.
Uncle Steve even got out Pap's quad and took all the kids for a ride. For some reason, Noah (my 13 year old nephew) ended up with a band aid on his head.
Since it was a beautiful day, we decided on family pictures. This is the first time we have had all seventeen of the grandkids home at the same time. Here are my parent's with their grandchildren.
Then some of the individual families. This is my oldest sister, Patty, and her family.
This is my next oldest sister, Tina, and family. Yes, we could pass for twins but there are 3 years between us.
This next picture is my sister, Tammy. She is only 14 months older than me.
Here is my family!
Then my "little" brother, Stephen, and his family.
Here are my parents with the five of us kids.
Then all of us girls.
Mariah was finally able to meet a few family members. Aunt Tina enjoyed a little of one on one time with Mariah.
She also met her cousin, Joshua. He just turned two a few weeks ago. Mariah can be a bit bossy. She sort of took over poor Josh. I'm not sure he liked it!

This was Mariah's Thanksgiving dinner. She ate everything except the stuffing. She had mashed potatoes with gravy, candied sweet potatoes, baked corn, turkey, and peas.
In the middle of Thanksgiving dinner preparations, mom stopped and played with Mariah right in the middle of the kitchen floor.
My brother spent a good part of the day working on my mom and dad's internet problems. He is an IT guy and I'd be lying if I told you I knew exactly what he does. I know it is also his degree in computers but much more complicated than that.
Here is the "kids table".
The big table....one side.
And the other side......

A picture of us!!
We were on our way to visit Jeremy's parents and I took this picture.
Once we got to Jeremy's mom and dad's house, Mariah was a bit overwhelmed. She was into everything. She thought nothing was off limits.
Even the kitty, Frosty.
We got Jeremy's parents together for a picture with Mariah. Unfortunately, Mariah's head was right in front of Jeremy's dad's face.
We had a wonderful time home for the few hours that we were there. We need to make a trip to my Grandma Bash's apartment to visit her when we are home next time. I was hoping to see her at dinner at my mom and dad's but it didn't work out. 

Thanks to Jeremy for taking all the pictures. The only problem is.....now he wants that expensive camera.

It is with a very grateful heart that I give thanks to the Lord for his provisions for us. We are especially thankful for the addition to our family. I'll leave with one final picture of our entire family. Uncle John came up from next door and was sweet enough to take this picture. All twenty-nine of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment