Sunday, December 29, 2013

Finally Here!

If I could begin to explain how exhausted we are I would. We got up on Friday morning around 8am after a very late night before traveling home to Pennsylvania. We were up at 8 and have not been to bed since. Our journey to China began around 2pm Friday as my brother and dad drove us to Pittsburgh International Airport to catch our first flight scheduled to leave at 7pm. 

My passport was flagged in the system and caused a minor delay as we explained to the ticketing agent that we did in fact have return flights. I guess since they are on a different airline it flagged my passport/visa. I cannot explain why it did not flag Jeremy's or Rebecca's. 

Becca loved her first flight. The flight attendants were so sweet with her and made a big deal over this being her first flight.

We made it to Atlanta and had our first layover. 

We boarded our flight on Korean Air around 12:30am and took off right at 1am. We were amazed at the service on Korean Air. We liked United our last time but, WOW! Korean Air was unbelievably accommodating and professional. Every single aspect was taken into consideration. We each had slippers, moist towels, a toothbrush and paste, orange juice and pineapple juice whenever we wanted, bottled water, two full hot meals, and snacks of peanuts, brownies, more peanuts, and hot tea.

But a fifteen hour flight is long regardless of how great an airline. We were a little surprised to find that the entire 15 hour flight was in darkness! We kept waiting for the sun but it never came.

We landed in Seoul about 20 minutes late at 6:20am and were very surprised to find that we had to go through security again. Other American families said they had never been through such terrible lines there in Incheon before. It took almost 2 hours there. I went through the metal detector and it went off. This caused me to be pulled aside and a female police officer did a strikingly personal pat-down! I was free to go.

We only had about 15 minutes before boarding our last flight to Guangzhou. We loved this flight even more. Our seats had better reclining positions and more room between the seats. Again, it was Korean Air. I am happy that we are returning to the States using them as well.
I found it quite odd and I don't know why it sort of surprised me but we obviously could not fly through North Korean air space. So we flew around.

We landed in Guangzhou and proceeded to baggage claim then met our guide from Lifeline. Miko was also our guide for our last visit to China. Becca had her first experience with riding as a passenger in China's crazy traffic! 

We were pleasantly surprised to see an absolutely beautiful Christmas tree in the grand lobby of our hotel.

We checked-in to the beautiful Garden Hotel and brought our weary bodies up to our room. Miko stayed and helped us get our paperwork ready and gave us our schedule for the next two weeks. I have to admit that we were so tired I hope we didn't miss anything. 

We meet our daughter tomorrow afternoon. We meet with our guide in the lobby of our hotel at 2pm and we proceed to the civil affairs office from there. We will take Selah's new backpack that we have along with some goodies that we plan to give. Since we are one of two families here for our Gotcha Day tomorrow, we are unsure of all of the details of the week. We are Lifeline's only family. I'm not sure who the other family is with.

We have seen some very unique Christmas decorations! I'll be sure to get some photos to share.

I terribly miss our kids back home. My boys have texted us several times telling us how much they miss us. Mariah keeps asking my mom and dad where Jeremy and I are. 

Before we left, Mariah knew something was up. She kept coming over to me saying, "I miss you, Mommy!" We hadn't even left yet. This is the part I hate about coming. I miss my kids!! We both do. 

I read a great verse today as I was reading my Bible on the plane. I would like to share as it touched my heart because I was just thinking how much I love God.

I Corinthians 2:9   But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment