Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Bitter-Sweet Week

This is a very difficult post for me, so just bear with me. Jeremy and I received a phone call last Thursday letting us know that Jeremy's sweet grandfather was taken to the hospital and not expected to survive. That was a tough phone call for me to then make to Jeremy. On Saturday evening, Pap Leard drew his last breath.  Above is a sweet picture of four of our kids with Grandma and Pap Leard several years ago at Christmastime.

There were so many people that came to the funeral home to pay their respect to this family. I was amazed at the lives that one simple man touched. He was a husband, a father, a grandfather, a great-grandfather, a brother, a friend, and most importantly a man of God. He loved to study and read his Bible. He touched the lives of all who had the privilege of knowing him. If you ever met Pap, you heard the Word of God in his ever so gentle way.

As the funeral plans were being made on Sunday afternoon Jeremy, me, and the kids stayed at Grandma and Pap's house and took down the Christmas tree and all decorations. As we were cleaning up we were looking through drawers for bags, tape etc. We found countless notes that Pappy left. He had Scripture written on some, sermon notes on others, and Bible study notes on even more. Talk about a legacy! Can you imagine what it might be like for Grandma to come across these notes as she goes about her day?

Jeremy's dad and Pappy's pastor (Jonathan Hill) had the funeral on Wednesday morning. It was emotional yet God-honoring. This is how Pappy would have wished. He wanted the focus on the Lord, not on him. Jeremy's dad sang part of the song "Give Me Jesus"  acapella.  It was beautiful! Pastor Hill ended the funeral service with a beautiful prayer and personal touch that Pappy deserved.

Personally, I was even more honored to be a part of this family. Much like adoption, I was taken in by this family. I was given status I did not deserve. I was loved by this gentle spirit as one of his very own grandchildren. I am humbled to have known this man for twenty-two years. I loved him deeply.

This past week has also stirred my own memories of my grandparents who have passed away. Such fond memories I have of my grandparents! We are emotionally and physically exhausted but are resting in God's promises to us.

I Thessalonians 4:14  For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

Then we had wonderful news as well. On Tuesday January 17, 2012 we are officially DTC! For those of you who are not familiar with adoption terminology, that means our dossier is on its way to China! This is a huge step. As a sweet friend wisely put it, we have pushed the papers over the the other side of the ocean, FINALLY!


No comments:

Post a Comment