Thursday, April 19, 2012

Slow But Steady Wins the Race

You can probably guess that we are doing a bit more of the waiting. Seems as though we never can get fully used to the idea. Our I800 immigration form was received at the lockbox in Texas and accepted. This just means they check to make sure it is filled out properly and not missing signatures then it gets mailed to the facility in Missouri. That is were it sits right now. I emailed our immigration officer last night just to give her a heads-up that our application will be on her desk very soon. She was kind and emailed me back this morning letting me know, in her very formal way, that she is on the look out for it and will let us know if there is anything additional needed to grant us provisional approval. The good thing here is that the I800 applications are expedited, always. So, we are praying to have that approval by next week. 
To the left is a quilt that was made for Mariah. I absolutely love it! It is a large quilt that I am certain she will become quite attached to. I tried to get a close up picture of this quilt. A sweet lady made this for her and decided since we were adopting a little bit older of a child, she would make it larger. LOVE the colors!!!








Here is a full view of this beautiful quilt. Isn't it lovely? I have begun "nesting". It is just necessary cleaning and reorganizing to make room for Mariah. Last weekend I spent cleaning out Rebecca's other dresser making room for Mariah's things. Mission Accomplished!  I had all three of the kids' bedrooms a mess while having them try on clothes to see what fits this year. I had four unhappy, unimpressed children. So glad that job is done! Mariah now has a dresser and a small portion of Rebecca's closet to share. 
To the left is a picture of  a very special package we received in the mail. One of my adoption friends was in China (adopting two of her own) and she sent this to us. She had Mariah's name done in calligraphy in both English and Chinese. The man that does this is a Christian and owns a shop on the famous Shamian Island. This is in Guanghou, where all American adoptions are finalized.






His name is Jordon. He is a very outspoken Christian and loves to do this calligraphy for Americans....free! Unfortunately, a couple of weeks ago Jordon found out that his shop was being shut down. He wanted to stay and last we heard they were going to allow him to have his shop up on the fifth floor, instead of on the street level. 


Those traveling for their adoptions now cannot find his shop. I am so thankful that my friend was thinking of us as she was there for her children as well. This is precious to us.  In the picture above, you will also see Chinese money. She sent us this money for us to have to purchase snacks once we land at the airport and to pay for bellboy tips!


We called our local (or should I say Ohio's) health department and found out about our travel immunizations. Looks like the CDC recommends Typhoid shots, Hep A and Hep B shots (series of three shots, one month apart), and Polio boosters. There is a Polio outbreak in China right now. So, we need to get started immediately and we will not be able to get the last Hep shots as we will not have enough time. Hard to believe those shots will run over $400 for both of us! WOW! My brother just traveled to China and he was able to take the Typhoid orally. Maybe that is an option since the health department only has 5 shots left and they are all spoken for.


The school year is wrapping up for us. My unit study material is finished next week!!!! The kids still have math, language arts, and a few other things to finish up after that. I am more than ready to be done for this year. It has been a school year with much added stress and anxiety. We all need a break. Reading about Archimedes the past two weeks somehow just does't seem all that interesting. Not sure that it ever would though. 


We are ready for a clean bill of health for Ben as we visit Cincinnati next Friday. I am frustrated with the lack of communication within the medical community. He needs to start back on his growth hormone so he doesn't lose any more ground. He certainly looks healthy!! He eats more than our teenager, Kyle. Jeremy and I are praying that his blood pressure is normal this time. The last several visits have shown elevated blood pressures. I think it is anxiety, even though you would think he was used to it all. 


I think I forgot to mention that we invited my parents to come to China with us. We had suspicions that they (mostly my mom) wanted to come. So my sister told me I should ask. Well, my mom practically screamed when I asked her. She said she'd call back later. Evidently, she called my dad in from the garage and she was crying begging him to say yes. So, that is the story of how my parents decided to come. 


Mom has told me several times that she wants to be there to support Jeremy and me. Jeremy and I both know that she wants to personally witness our "Gotcha Day" with Mariah just as she has been at the birth of all of their sixteen (yes I said 16) grandchildren. As far as my dad is concerned, he just loves kids and retired several years ago. After my mom begged, he said, "Sure! Why not!" Well, I can think of several reasons but if he is willing to take his first ever international flight/travel to China for 2 weeks to meet his newest granddaughter, I'm not saying a word. Let's just say he will probably frequent McDonald's while there. 


I'm glad someone else will be there to film those first moments and Jeremy and I don't have to take turns filming each other. Jeremy has already said he fully intends on being the one to hog her the entire time. We'll have to see. I think he forgets what this mommy is like with her babies!  We may fight over Mariah! The way I see it is, we have been pregnant for 15 months now. This labor has been far worse than the labor of our biological children! There, I said it. Keeping in mind, Becca was born without any medication and I still say that!  


We are praying that my next post will be about our immigration approval!!!













No comments:

Post a Comment