Monday, May 21, 2012

Wrapping Up and Getting Ready!

This past Wednesday night we watched our kids (and Jeremy) receive their awards from our church's AWANA program. I never tire of watching my kids gleam as they receive their awards. To the left here is Kyle receiving his award for his first year of serving in AWANA. Kyle has been faithful to serve with Jeremy (the taller guy in grey)in Gametime. Jeremy is the Director and Kyle was one of his helpers. We are trying to instill in our children how important it is to serve. It seems as though Kyle really enjoys serving others. He has such a great heart!

I believe this was Jeremy's 12th year as well. He has the unique opportunity to have contact with all of the children in our AWANA organization (approximately 60 kids). I love to watch Jeremy with these kids. They seem to be drawn to him. I never see Jeremy walk past one of these kids where they don't come over to him and either wrap their arms around his legs or start a tickle fight! Okay, maybe that is not entirely true. I have often times caught Jeremy starting these tickle fights. It is really endearing. I love that my kids get to witness this as well. Can you see why he is such a great Daddy?




Here is our sweet Mikey receiving his award. This child has truly overcome HUGE obstacles! If you only knew him as a baby. Oh my! He didn't speak until he was almost three. He has Auditory Processing Disorder and Sensory Integration Dysfunction. Basically, he has a lot of trouble processing information received. All information is overload for him. This has proven to be a huge struggle for him in a traditional classroom setting. So, our classroom at home can be on the couch, on my bed while I'm fixing my hair, standing at the kitchen counter, at the basketball hoop, on the deck, occasionally at his desk......you get the idea. He has thrived as a home schooler! 


When it came to AWANA and completing his books, I honestly dreaded the thought. By the time we finish school for the day, he is mentally fatigued. He has concentrated so hard throughout the day that there isn't much left. But he is a determined child!! I only helped him a little. It was all him that decided to work a little bit in his book several days a week. He worked so hard and learned 109 verses this year! Micah, Mommy and Daddy are so very proud of you! We knew you could do it.

Here is our sweet Rebecca with her wonderful teacher, Miss Billie, and Miss Billie's daughter, Miss Shanna. Rebecca LOVES these sweet ladies! Miss Billie has been the ever dependable babysitter for us. She has been there when I went into labor with all of my kiddos. She kept Kyle and Micah for a couple of days while we were in Morgantown waiting to see if Rebecca was going to survive her early birth. Miss Billie also watched my older three kids when we went to the hospital in labor with Ben (over night...again!) Miss Billie was the ever faithful friend calling to check on our dear Ben while he had surgery in Columbus. She is very special to us! We all love her. Rebecca moves up to the next T&T class next year. Thank you Miss Billie for loving us as you do. Thank you Miss Shanna for loving on Rebecca too!!
Lastly, we have Ben. Here he is with his Sparks teacher, Miss Mary. There were days when I think Ben thought the sun rose and set because Miss Mary. Ben was so blessed to have Miss Mary! But I would be remiss not to say he felt the same for Miss April and Miss Lyn! What a blessing for a mom to leave her child in their classroom knowing how much he/she was loved. Miss Mary was so good when Ben was sick this past fall. She offered to come over to our house to listen to him so that he could finish his book this year. She never had to because he was determined to get it done!  One thing we all learned about Ben is he is more determined the "sicker" (yes I just used that word) he is. He completed his book and was only a few verses shy of completing the review! No wonder this child has stumped his doctors! He is one lovable spitfire! Ben is a child that really needs hugs and kisses from me. I am more than happy to oblige.

Okay now, isn't this doll adorable? I ordered this doll for Mariah and it came in the mail this past week. We plan to take this with us to China in her backpack! It is a soft Asian doll with adorable black yarn hair with a ponytail on each side. I know it is a little hard to see but she is a cutie pie!


We continued our shopping this week in anticipation of our trip. I am so thankful for other adoptive parents who have recently returned from China. They have given us priceless advice. I am hoping not to have too much culture shock upon arrival in China (gasp). These parents have done a terrific job! I went out and bought bug spray.......for those of you that don't know, I have terrible reactions to bug bites. Oftentimes I develop cellulitis as a result of scratching in my sleep. So for Mariah's sake and my own, we are armed with bug spray and Afterbite (anti-itch medicine). We also purchased sunscreen (for Mariah), our Boba baby carrier, a new memory stick for our camera, a new battery for our camera, a new battery for our video camera, diapers, long sleeve jammies (she is used to being bundled), and a couple of more pair of shorts with cute shirts. I honestly don't believe we will ever be done shopping for this trip. To answer your questions.....yes they do sell this stuff in China. We just don't read Mandarin! Since manufacturers are different, we would have no idea what we were purchasing.


This week begins our wait for Travel Approval. This is the very last step! Once we received that, we can book travel. Travel Approvals are coming in at around 2-3 weeks. I am still praying for the possibility of travel and return home before June 28th, Becca's 10th birthday!
  
I asked Rebecca if we had to be in China for her birthday, would she prefer her birthday to be celebrated before we leave or after we get back. She said before. When the boys asked why, she told them that she didn't want Mariah to feel left out. So she thought if she celebrated before, then Mariah would never know. What a sweetheart!


Love beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things; endureth all things.                                                                              I Corinthians 13:7











2 comments:

  1. Your kids are such good kids! You and Jeremy will be parents again soon:-) I'm praying that you ALL will be home in time for Becca's birthday. Not many girls get a real baby sister for their birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to all your children on their Awana awards! I love the little doll for Mariah - so cute! Our one daughter was worried about us missing her birthday. God times everything so well; we arrived home the day before her big day. I celebrated my birthday in China, though, and that was fun as well. Our group went out to dinner with us to celebrate without our guide - challenging, but fun!

    ReplyDelete