Saturday, July 21, 2012

Adjusting

Outside!!!!! The first time we took Mariah outside was a bit overwhelming for her. Two of our neighbors came over and she didn't know what to do with herself. She kept coming over to me to be picked up. Then she wanted down and went over and sat on the porch with a blank stare. So, we have taken a few steps back and we are gradually introducing her to her new world. This moment above was captured by Jeremy as Mariah was picking up some rocks. She was delighted!


The adjustments are coming, slowly. We notice that she seeks refuge in Jeremy and me. That is such a positive for us. She enjoys the kids, but we are a safe haven for her. Now, don't get me wrong, she has a long way to go but she is coming along faster than we anticipated.


We noticed that she refuses strangers. Now, the tough thing about that is we have worked so hard to teach our older kids to speak to adults when spoken to and to be polite. So it is a bit strange that we rejoice in the fact that it may seem she is being rude. I assure you, she is not being rude. Mariah is realizing that Mama and Baba are safe and pretty neat! So please be patient with Mariah as she learns about her new life. She is simply a child. She is not comfortable yet with some of our love. We just pray that during some of these uncomfortable moments, God whispers in her ear and in her heart that it is ok.
Here is one of the very rare moments that she tolerated a hug from any of our kids and even laid her head back. She was about to fall asleep on Benjamin. They were swinging together on the deck.


Mariah is sort of the apple of everyone's eye. Can you tell?
Or how about here?
I forgot to mention.....first time with bubbles. It looks like Kyle is about to kiss her though!
She really enjoyed this!
Does anyone but me notice how our Mikey always has his arms around someone during a picture? Now, Mariah definitely needed to be held down, or she would have run out onto the road. Micah just does it so sweetly.
Mikey really enjoyed a few moments with just him and Mariah. He was pulling some grass and blowing it. Mariah thought it was hilarious! 
So here is our blonde beauty and our Chinese princess! I love this picture!
I want to explain this picture a little. Mariah was supposed to be sleeping but that wasn't happening just yet. She was playing with her Minnie Mouse (check out her left arm). The pillow she is using was made by a sweet lady at our church. Miss Shirley is fighting cancer right now but was determined to make something for Mariah. 

Then notice the pink blanket? My sister asked me a couple of months ago to pick out the yarn for a blanket for Mariah. Tina made this blanket for Mariah and she has used it everyday since our return from China. I am thrilled that she has claimed something as a comfort item. She HATES to be covered up though. I notice that she will always pull her blanket over to play with as she sucks her thumb. So, Aunt Tina.......THANK YOU!!!!
Again, she is supposed to be sleeping! Notice the blanket just pulled over. she will uncover herself in her sleep if I try to sneak in and pull the covers over her. When she is bored, the stuffed Minnie Mouse and her rag doll go overboard. The blanket and pillow stay.

A few of the struggles we are having right now are Mariah's understanding of us coming back. As you remember, she clung to Jeremy in China and had nothing to do with me. Well, now she definitely prefers Jeremy but also loves on me. She struggles with Jeremy coming home from work. It seems as though she is angry with him for leaving. He really has to beg and plead for her to just be civil with him. Here was what I caught today. Jeremy is desperate for her acceptance. Food is the way to her heart!
See, I told you before that she eats between meals. She got into our cereal cupboard and just started munching. That is okay. She needs to realize that food will always be available. This is the other struggle we are having. 

She eats every meal as if it might be her last. She insists on being in her highchair every time we walk into the kitchen. She will fuss until I do and hang onto the tray. She wants to eat ALL.THE.TIME!!

Our international adoption doctor told us that she probably never ate until she reached full. Also, her eating schedule was never deviated from. So, she ate even if she wasn't hungry. This has all contributed to her overeating. We are not making a big deal about it at all and many of these kids outgrow this on their own. So, we pray. Sweet girl, there will always be food here for you!

She is frustrated with the language barrier as well. Her way of dealing with it is to scratch herself or me. She also began to pinch. It is her way of communicating with us. We have to pay attention to those things and respect that she is uncomfortable.

This week she began to say more English words. After a diaper change I give her my fingers and she holds on. I help her up and I say, "Up, up, up!" She has begun to copy me. Just today, she tried to say "eat" but only the "t" sound came out.

She offered me her juice tonight and allowed me to take a drink. This is showing us her compassionate heart. I am so thankful for the small things!

Jeremy came home with a baby gate the other day. Needless to say, Mariah was not at all impressed!
She actually hates the gate. The door to the left in this picture is the  kids' bathroom. Door remains closed! There is another door to the right which you cannot see here, that is our older boys' bedroom. That door is also closed. Mariah only has freedom down the upstairs hallway and our bedroom. She will scream when she sees me grab the gate to put up. Then we saw her lift her leg up (after watching the other kids) and her foot was in the handle of the gate. She is not strong enough yet to pull herself over, but we see that coming. When she is really angry, she tosses everything she can grab and run with from our room, over the gate. Sometimes those things make it down the steps!

Parenting these toddler years again is just as wonderful as it was with my others. I think I am a tad busier though.







3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the update, Jeanine. Who is the great photographer? What great photos! I just love her to pieces. You are such a wonderful, dedicated Mother. Jeremy does look a bit like Corey - haha! Mariah is in my prayers. She is such a cautious soul. It's nice to see that she is gradually accepting the love her wonderful family has for her. I would love our girls to meet while they still might remember each other. But I know a road trip for either one might be a while. I appreciate your knowledge too. Maybe the reason LuXue has been biting me and pulling my hair is she is frustrated that we can't understand each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a "tad"? Love your posts about all Mariah's baby steps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so appreciate knowing you and Jeremy better. You are both inspirations to anyone who needs their faith bolstered. Yours is so visible and has served you well. Mariah is blessed to have been brought together with the two of you while young enough to be grounded in that firm faith in a Loving God. Much Success to your wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete