Thursday, January 10, 2013

Surgery

I Corinthians 13:7  Love beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things: endureth all things. Love never fails.
I guess I've been putting off writing this post. However, Jeremy and I have waited a very long time for this to come. We are not strangers to doctors' offices or hospitals. I have counted how many different hospitals we have used for our kids and the number is seven. On Tuesday January 15th that number will increase by one. 

Ben is usually the recipient of these hospital stays but this time it is Mariah. Are we anxious? Absolutely! Are we prepared? No. I don't think we could ever
be fully prepared. But we begin Mariah's journey to better health on Tuesday. For that we rejoice!

We have waited for over seven months for this day. We dread it yet praise God that we waited! After being put on the back burner (so to speak) by another hospital I began to research. I have spent hours on the computer and phone. One doctor's name seemed to consistently come up....Dr. Rink. 

We prayed and researched some more. It was all orchestrated by God. Through a series of phone calls with  Dr. Rink we finally had answers and relief!

Dr. Rink is one of two doctors in the United States and the world who specialize in Mariah's necessary urological surgery and is considered  an expert. After working with our insurance company we are approved to go to Dr. Rink. 

Mariah will enter Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis on Tuesday January 15th to prepare for her surgery on the 17th. The first day is for a bunch of tests requiring sedation. She then will be admitted on the 16th to prep for surgery on the 17th. Her surgery is very long and meticulous and will require at least six hours of the surgeons' best work. She will remain hospitalized for 5-10 days. Mariah will be having a surgery that hopefully will be life changing for her. We hope you understand that we are not going into a lot of detail as we wish to preserve her privacy.

On this journey to adopt we have met some incredible families. We traveled with one in particular that has made a huge impact on my life. Annette traveled alone to get her fifth daughter! Her dedicated husband stayed home with their other four girls. Annette was super sweet with us while in China and we have maintained a sweet friendship since returning home. 

Also, we met (online) Heidi and her husband, Jeremy. He is a pastor in Indiana. When Heidi found out we were coming to Indianapolis for Mariah's surgery, she immediately got to work. I received an email that brought me to tears. Heidi's church has an apartment that is a 45 minute drive outside of Indianapolis and they offered to let Jeremy and me stay there during Mariah's hospitalization. I was stunned at such an offer! As it turns out, it is just a little too far to make that work. But we are amazed at the kindness and generosity of our adoption friends.

We are trying to avoid the flu pandemic that has hit the area. I am severely limiting Mariah's exposure to public. Unfortunately, sick people don't always stay home. We do not wish to have her surgery date changed. We have waited a long time for this.

Please pray for the surgeon as he is unsure of the specifics of her surgery. He will know more once we get there on Tuesday. Pray for Jeremy and me as we watch our baby undergo a very difficult surgery and recovery. Please pray for our older four kids as they spend time with both sets of grandparents while missing us and worrying about Mariah. And of course, pray for our Mariah. We don't know how she will handle any of this. She is older than what is typically expected. There are no guarantees of success as a result of her age.

We have not mentioned this to many people because quite honestly as a mom it is really hard for me to talk about. No parent wishes to see their child undergo any surgery. I think I buried the upcoming surgery way back in my mind and busied myself with being a home schooling, stay-at-home mom.

We certainly would appreciate prayers for our Mariah. Any surgery is dangerous for a child. With Mariah's adrenal problems this really complicates things. The anesthesiologist will be on high alert as he closely watches her adrenal functions to avoid an adrenal crisis.
It will be difficult for all. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends will be storming heaven's doors for this child. She is worth it!!! Have you seen her pictures? 

I am also excited as we likely be meeting two adoption families. LuXue's (Mariah's orphanage mate) mom is hoping to drive down from Michigan for work and wants to meet with us.  Also, Heidi and Jeremy (mentioned above) are planning on a visit as well. 

As I stumble over the appropriate words to say, I still end up with thank you to a some special people. Jeremy and I realize that you cannot be out-given. Even though we would love to try! That was evidenced at church tonight. Those words do not begin to explain how we feel. From the bottom of our hearts, we are truly honored to be your friends.

I will delicately attempt writing about Mariah while we are in Indianapolis. I am looking forward to this next week being over! Prayers are appreciated. I hope everyone understands why we have not shared this before now. My heart is aching even now as I type these words. 
Please pray for this sweet girl! And maybe her Momma and Daddy.


Ephesians 3:20   Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly                                 above all that we ask or think.




7 comments:

  1. Wow..this would explain a very confusing dream i had the other night. She will be well. <3 She is in my heart and prayers. My husband is a hospital director here and we are not all that far from where you are heading if needed please do not hesitate to ask <3. ~Kathy Myers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, thanks so much and I will definitely keep you in mind. I appreciate your offer more than you know. You have me curious about your dream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are praying already, sweet friend! Love you all dearly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I certainly know what you are heading into. Lot's of prayers for peace, wisdom, and direction coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are praying in Virginia. Much love to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wrapping you ALL in prayer!!! May God grant you peace, strength, and favor on this part of your journey for Mariah. Much love, Annette

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be praying for Mariah and all of you!

    ReplyDelete