Saturday, January 19, 2013

Warrior Princess

Our day is here. After waiting for over six months for it, I wanted to say forget it. But, I knew better. We packed the van the night before, my mom drove down to take the kids back to PA the next day and we were as ready as we could ever be. It is so hard to get ready for something like this.

First of all, my washer had broken the week before. It was not Whirlpool's fault. When my kids put a load of laundry in to be washed, one of Rebecca's tops was caught in the door of my front-loader. The entire cycle ran but unfortunately the sleeve was caught in the door. It tore the rubber seal on the door. I will admit that Sears has lost my business. We bought the extended warranty 2 years ago with our new set but we found one excuse after another for them not coming to repair. In the end, it got fixed. I then had 14 loads of laundry to wash/dry/fold/put away within four days. Plus pack for my older four kids to go to PA for a week. Then pack for Jeremy, Mariah, and me to come to Indianapolis. 
We came to Riley Hospital for Children a day early for testing. Unfortunately, the test was a complete failure. They were not able to run the test. They tried! 
Wednesday, the day before surgery, we walked into the hospital and we were greeted with one of Jeremy's dad's closest friends. He is a pastor here in Indianapolis. We visited with Pastor Randy Gilmore then he prayed with us. What a surprise to see a familiar face.
That night, we had another visitor. My sweet friend Karen came. She lives in Michigan but was in the area for work and wanted to meet Mariah. Karen's daughter was in the orphanage with Mariah. Karen brought the softest lamb for Mariah and more importantly brought lots of hugs and kisses! This was also a friend we had only spoken with over the phone and on Skype. We love this family dearly! I have to be honest.....Karen was itching to get her hands on Mariah. It was so obvious!
Mariah's surgery was supposed to be "only" six hours. We were admitted to the hospital the day before for surgery preparation. The surgery schedule came out and she was scheduled for 10:45am. Mariah knew something was very wrong. She was extra clingy. We were both very okay with that.

The surgery schedule got pushed back a little. We had some awesome nurses, doctors, and Family Life Worker (probably fancy for social worker) with us. The doctors were all on the same page and more than happy to answer any question. I had a lot!!! I did not want anyone to touch my baby unless they knew how she was to be medicated throughout surgery. (Mariah has to receive stress doses of cortisol throughout surgery and for days after.) They were on top of it.

I begged for one of us to be allowed to take her all the way back to the OR. I really tried. The answer was no. I understand that but my little one has suffered so much. I wanted her to understand that one of our faces was the last she would see. Fortunately, our Family Life worker had played with Mariah for two days and was able to take her back to the OR. I guess that was better than nothing. So, Jeremy and I prayed with our sweetie and they carried her to the OR. We watched through the double doors as tears rolled down our faces. 

We took a few minutes with just the two of us. Jeremy held me as I cried. Eventually we made our way up to the surgery waiting area. After there just a few minutes a sweet adoption friend I met online came to sit with us. She lives here in the Indianapolis area and just wanted to offer her support. Rebecca came bearing a gift for Mariah as well. It is the cutest stuffed polar bear. Rebecca, thank you! You took our mind off of things for a long time and insisted on buying us our lunch/dinner. We had no choice. She has a way with words!
Finally, after a very long eight hours we got word that the surgery was complete. Dr. Rink came out to speak with us. We were one of two families remaining in the waiting room. He thanked Jeremy and I for allowing him to perform her surgery then went on to thank us for seeing value in her life! How awesome was that? He sees our adoption story!

I had also begged to be allowed back to recovery before she woke. They understood and allowed us back. It was pitiful! I knew what to expect but it was still sad.

The first night was difficult. She is on a floor that is entirely for critical patients. We had a nurse in the room the entire night desperately trying to manage her pain. Her blood pressures were really high. Her heart rate was in the 150s or higher. She cried and I was not able to hold her. Moms are supposed to make it all better and there was nothing I could do. I was excited to see that every single time Mariah opened her eyes, she looked around until she spotted either Jeremy or me. Then her eyes were fixed on us. That was so nice to see. Bonding in action!!!
Friday was better. I was able to hold her. Then we had a visit from another cyber-friend, Heidi. She and her daughter (also from China) came to visit. Mollie quickly took to Jeremy and played with him. It was adorable when she saw Mariah. She looked at her mom and said, "Mama! She looks like me!" You see, Mollie is only 3 1/2. She saw another China girl! Heidi and Mollie made a blanket for Mariah and brought her stickers, a doll,and lots of hair barrettes.
Heidi also brought Jeremy and I our Hospital Survival Kit. It was a care package full of goodies! We had a large bag of M&Ms, box of granola bars, box of fruit snacks, squeezable applesauce, Twizzlers (one of my favorites), beef jerky (Jeremy's favorite), gum, water bottles, and a few other things. She thought of everything!
We have been so touched by words of encouragement we have received and the kindness we have been given. Yes, this has been very difficult. But our friends from WV before we left showered us with gifts of love! Even some friends we don't know but have been touched with our story! 

Mariah's pain is being managed with an epidural. She is receiving valium, morphine, Tylenol, and cortisol by iv. She has two iv poles and is not a fan of them. Before surgery she was pushing the iv pole away. She is in a hospital like none other we have ever seen. They nurses are all so sweet. They offer us anything all the time. The doctors are so kind. 

Right now we are dealing with the anesthesia team, endocrinology team, and urology team. They come visit at least twice a day. Her iv pumps beep continuously. Her monitor beeps when she is irritated or has a high heart rate.  Sleep is not easy to come by. Her med schedule keeps nurses in the room at least once an hour.


Today she ate real food!!!! Not a lot but it is a start!
I wanted to end this post with one of the sweetest videos. I have yet another friend in the in the adoption community that sent this of her little guy praying for our Mariah. Maddox, you have a very special place in my heart!
Just click on the following phrase.....Prayer from Maddox
Psalms 139:17-18  How precious also are they thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment