Sunday, March 24, 2013

More of the Same

I am ready to be done with school. It has been a tough year. I feel badly for my older four kids. Every morning they are on their own. It works for us now but it took a long time to get into the groove. As you can imagine, my older kids had quite the adjustment to make with our addition. They were so good about everything. I have to tell you, it wasn't easy but they are troopers.

Kyle is in eighth grade and his studies have become more involved. I ended up taking a bit of time the past few weeks and had to clear the cobwebs in my brain in an attempt to remember my college algebra. UGH!!! Thank goodness for an uncle who is passionate (yes, I said PASSIONATE) about math. He is an actuary with Nationwide and was thrilled when I asked for some help a few weeks ago. Even though I did fine in math, I did not love it. He has been solving simultaneous equations and graphing lines after finding the slope-intercept formula. Doesn't that sound like fun? 

I am amazed with his ability to write. Some day I will share some of what he pens. It makes this Momma proud!

Micah and Rebecca have been going steady. Micah continues to amaze me with his studies. He is in sixth grade and has proven me absolutely wrong on so many things. That makes me happy! Rebecca has really been doing well this year too. Fifth grade is usually a tough year but she is doing nicely. I am teaching her that it is okay to miss a few points on a math test. She really gets upset if she misses anything. Her writing also is quite impressive. I guess you can tell where my passion lies!

Benjamin is in third grade. This typically is a difficult year according to school teachers. He has maintained a really great year. His reading is far improved and that was my goal. When his pulmonologist  asked him what he was learning in school, Ben proceeded to tell him all about Venus and the sulfuric acid clouds that cover the planet and as a result it they act like a lid on a pot of boiling water. That is why Venus is the hottest planet in the solar system. I'm sure if it was this past week's lesson, the doctor would have heard how Mount Olympus Mons is the highest mountain peak in the Milky Way and it is a volcano on the planet Mars.

I learn about as much as the kids do every day. We work really hard on school. I can honestly tell you that our kids are learning in a very different way as we home school. It is hard for all of us but we do enjoy it. I feel behind since we missed some time for Mariah's surgery. In actuality, we have completed 29 weeks of school. I have taken one snow day. I need to lighten up. 

Our school day begins around 9am. My kids sleep in until about 8:30am. They are at their desks by 9:15. They complete their independent studies in the morning. Usually, Ben needs a little help with Math or some reading. But on Monday mornings Mariah has speech therapy in our house. Our terrific speech therapist, Andrea, comes every Monday at 10am. On Tuesday and Thursday mornings Ben, Mariah, and me drive to Mineral Wells for Ben's physical therapy. We are gone from 9:10 until 11:00am. 
Then we have lunch/break and by 1:30pm Mariah is in bed for nap and the older kids and I start our history, science, Bible, and spelling. We are done with school around 4:30 or 5pm. Then the dinner rush, bath time, then bedtime!

During a regular visit to the pediatrician in December, Mariah did not pass a hearing screening. We were all a little shocked as we have not noticed anything suspicious with her hearing. Other than the typical toddler behavior or ignoring requests, she was hearing fine. We finally got an appointment with an audiologist and we took her there on Friday. As we suspected her hearing is absolutely fine.


We also had company visit with us two weeks ago. Jeremy's cousin and his wife came to visit with their two little ones! Seven kids and four adults in our house. It was a fun time. Here are all seven!
Rebecca and her little cousin, Shayleigh.
Craziness! I think they were racing.
Mariah and Colvin sharing a pink car.
Another week is wrapped up and another week of pretty much the same lies ahead! Have I mentioned how much I love being a momma? It suits me well. I know as crazy as it is right now there will be a day when our house is silent of the giggles. I try to remember that during our crazy days. It is the hardest job I have ever held. For us, we would not choose anything different!


No comments:

Post a Comment