Friday, April 19, 2013

Special Visitors and the Coming of Spring

Our silly girl was thrilled to have company here at the house this past week. We were too! Uncle Jeff had planned a trip to visit and at last minute Grandma decided to tag along. I'm glad Grandma did not feel she needed to wait to speak to us to see if it was okay. I tell our family all the time, "Please know that you have a standing open invitation to come visit us. I don't need a phone call. You just get to see us how we really live.......a little messy!" 
The picture above is of Daddy and our silly girl. Uncle Jeff and Grandma treated us to supper out. We do not get to do that very often. It was such a treat. The awesome aquarium was an attraction for sure.
In the hustle and bustle of life, I had to take the time to watch our silly girl enjoy blossoms for the first time. This is her first spring outside of an orphanage. In that orphanage she spent 20 hours a day confined to this crib...
So please understand when people ask why we chose China, my response is simple......why not? Can you imagine her life before coming home? She spent 20 hours a day here trying to comfort herself......entertain herself........ standing for hours at a time and being fed on a strict schedule. And now look at this......
We traded those sterile metal bars for some decorative wooden spindles that have been gnawed on by her four older siblings. And look how peaceful she is lying here! Our sweet, silly girl. She has changed our lives. Her impact is nothing short of powerful. And I just went off on a rabbit trail. 
Anyhow, while we were outside observing the weeping cherry tree, Kyle and Mariah somehow managed to fit in a sword fight. Actually, Mariah is using the scabbard to fight Kyle! I dare you to tell her that girls don't fight.
We still have a few institutional behaviors we are working on. Notice her shirt is up a little? She is scratching her tummy. Anxiety over new or exciting things causes her to scratch. Don't you love the camo bike helmet? For some reason (insert smirk) we never got rid of the toddler helmet we had from Ben. Here is why she was wearing a helmet.....
Yet another reason why our girls are not all that frilly. I'm okay with it though. This is Becca's Green Machine! She got this for Christmas and loves it. So do the neighbor kids.
Just look at that sweet, cute, ornery face! She LOVES her new shirt. We found her a Minnie Mouse shirt that she loves. She literally gasped when I held it up to show her. It's the small things.
Then all got quiet and I went on a search. She made herself comfy on our couch and was playing with my phone. This is not allowed but it was awfully cute!
She looks guilty here but all was good. She seems so serious!
We are still going strong with school work. Kyle is working on a science experiment in the picture above. He was using a balloon to produce static electricity that was then transferred to a metal paperclip which had aluminum foil hanging from the paperclip. He was to watch the foil move......you know....energy transference. It worked!
This evening I took a few minutes to sit down at my piano and play for pure enjoyment. I love my piano. Thank you Jeremy for that wonderful gift 2 years ago. Music is such a passion of mine. This time I was playing a duet. This duet is like one you have never heard.  Do you see all of those buttons above the keys? Yes.....Mariah saw them too. I was playing just an ordinary piano setting then trumpet, harp, organ, strings, choir, and flute. You get the idea. It was pretty horrendous and beautiful at the same time. Giggling galore from the both of us!

Money cannot buy this happiness. Why the Lord chose to bless us with this life is beyond my comprehension. I do not deserve these blessings. Our five kids have filled our lives with laughter every single day. I love the man that God intended to be mine. Not many people can say those things and honestly mean them. 

I don't mean for you to think it is easy for us. Because honestly, it is amazingly difficult. The work hours are long. The appointments are never-ending. The schoolwork is just plain tough. As great as my kids are, they are just kids. Attitudes are adjusted daily. For some reason, we cannot seem to understand the difference between perimeter and area. Arguing happens just out of earshot...or so they think. Medication dosing takes place four times a day and every three hours when Mariah is sick. Poor choices are made and good choices are highly encouraged. Money never goes as far as we would like. It is tough. I constantly run out of enough hours in the day to get the jobs done. 

Dinner is often late on the table. But dinner is together around our table. The meals are not glorious like Paula Dean. However, we are all around the table listening to the funny stories of our day. Admittedly, sometimes I don't understand what the kids are attempting to explain. But we laugh and enjoy the time without interruptions.

We pray that we are making as much of an impact on our children as they are making on us. 

Our air conditioner has been running for a few weeks now. We never open the windows. Kids with horrible asthma and allergies do not allow us that pleasure. It just means summer is on it's way. 

Jeremy and Kyle are preparing for a mission trip to Merida, Mexico. We can't wait to get Mariah in the pool for the first time! Another niece graduates from high school. And you probably guessed......more appointments.

We have decided to seek a second opinion for Mariah. I have researched late into the night and read a few books on her adrenal insufficiency. I am not convinced her doctor is treating her appropriately. I hope I'm wrong because we love her endocrinologist. We have been at his office every three months for eight years. Ben has this doctor for his "short stature" aka....growth hormone deficiency. He is so good to our family.

After much research, I emailed a doctor recommended to me. I received a reply within 20 minutes. The next morning, her secretary called me to set up an appointment. 

I made an appointment and had to call our pediatrician's office to have them make the referral. They were convinced there was no way I could have made an appointment without the referral from them. Well, I did. I've been around the block a few times. I sometimes know how to work the system. Jeremy probably thinks I could somehow get the codes to nuclear warheads!

Now we will be making a trip to Pittsburgh Children's Hospital. I guess we just like to tour all of the Children's Hospitals withing a 7 hour radius. We have used four others. But we will do anything for any of our kids. That appointment is coming up pretty soon. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of her elevated blood pressure and excessive growth. 








2 comments:

  1. Love reading your blog! Thanks for the update, I love that your answer to why China.. Was, why not? we have been asked so many times, why Africa? I didn't know until we for there, to our orphanage, but now I know why. And am feeling so beyond blessed that God has called us too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, you are in our prayers as you embark on your journey. We would go anywhere for a child. Location is so minor here on this earth! These children need a family. It is plain and simple. Africa tugs at our heart strings too!

      Delete