Monday, October 22, 2012

First Visit to Pennsylvania!

This week marked the first visit for Mariah to Pennsylvania. We were not sure how it would go but we had a doctor's appointment for Ben and we did not have a choice. We loaded up the car on Thursday morning and hit the road at 8:12am. Above is what I saw when I turned around to see what she was up to. Mariah removes her socks and shoes within minutes. Then evidently she sucks on her toes! YUCK!!!!

Then just a few minutes later we saw this....
This is a huge improvement from the screaming we usually hear in the car. She did great!

Then at about 10:45am we saw this welcome and familiar site....
Almost home! I think I will always call Pennsylvania home. To me, it is. Lots of "firsts". First tunnel ride in the United States.
Once we came through the Fort Pitt tunnels we saw the beautiful city of Pittsburgh.
This picture does not do this site justice. I especially love coming through the tunnels at night. It is a breathtaking site.
Closer still. About 45 minutes from my parents' house. Exit 70C......279 North.

We pulled in the driveway at 11:30am and we were greeted with my parents then my dad's brother, Uncle John, came up from next door. I fixed lunch for the kids, gave my mom instructions and we loaded up to take Ben to Pittsburgh Children's  Hospital. This was Mariah's first babysitting experience.
Here is Ben in front of the awesome train display set up close to the urologist's office. Photos are a bit blurry since I only had my cell phone. The appointment was a much needed answer to prayer for Jeremy and me. This office was unbelievable! They were kind, patient, and understanding. Dr. Schneck was awesome to Ben and took time to show Jeremy and I the scans from previous hospitals. He assured us that Ben is fine! Isn't God good? We really believed he was fine but one hospital was ready to remove his kidney and talk about cancer treatment. Ben's kidney "mass" is just a calyceal diverticula! It only requires follow-up yearly by ultrasound. There could be complications in the future but that is rare. We were so relieved. 

As it turns out, Dr. Schneck knows Mariah's urologist....Dr. Rink. Evidently they went to school together. He was so humble and told us that Dr. Rink is much more accomplished than he. Talk about humility. He assured us that Dr. Rink is the best.

Jeremy's mom and dad wanted to go to Pittsburgh with us. It was really nice to have some family there just because they care and love us. 

We made it back to my parent's house for supper at 6pm. Mariah didn't even seem to notice we had gone. Later that night, my sister and her family stopped to spend a couple of nights on their way back from Washington, DC. 

Rebecca and cousin Sarah.
Mom playing with Mariah.
Dad playing with Mariah.
Mom's China shelf. One of three.
While there, the son's-in-law helped my dad split wood for their coal furnace. So as expected, they enlisted the help of the grandchildren. Here is Mariah making her way to the woodpile.
It was a long walk!
Several of the kids hard at work.
I assure you, Jeremy and Abbie were not the only ones working, although this picture would lead you believe they were alone.
Cousins!
It wasn't all work. Rebecca and Abbie put two swings on one hook.
We finished up the work at my parents and after Mariah's nap headed to Jeremy's mom's and dad's for a family get-together. Since Jeremy's grandma lives right in front of Jeremy's parents, we stopped by to have Mariah meet her Great-Grandma. 
She is a little unsure, but it doesn't take long. Mariah puckered up and gave Great-Grandma a kiss and hug. It was so sweet. 
She also had some love to give to Grandma Kaminski!
That evening, Grandma Kaminski had a great bonfire/cookout with the family. We had a little bit of trouble keeping her away from the fire. 
Aunt Mary and Uncle George came down for the family get together.
Pap was just being silly.
We enjoyed the time spent in the country. There is nothing quite like it. Now, if Jeremy's phone would stop ringing. 

Our pictures came back from the photographer. I will leave with just a few of the beautiful pics that Christi took.

This is pretty much how Mariah views life. She LOVES her Daddy!!!!!!! This is one of many reasons why I love this man. He will do anything for our family! He'll even go to China! Isn't this picture priceless?
Our Rebecca is such a great big sister. We tried so hard to get Mariah to smile that day. She refused a nap and when I got her ready, she was a bit grumpy. Check out the look on her face!
Mariah was having a tough time even sitting in the leaves. She arched her back an absolutely refused to sit in those leaves. I think part was her "grumpies" but I really believe she had never sat in leaves before and was very unsure.
We are looking forward to another great week. Loving the prospect of more family coming for a visit!


No comments:

Post a Comment