Monday, June 16, 2014

Father's Day Weekend

I figured this is better late than never. I wanted so badly to write this for yesterday morning but our weekend was busy.  

Thursday evening marked the return of our boys! They arrived with Grandma and Pap K. around 7:30pm. We spent the evening visiting with each other. They helped out a good bit at their house and returned with just as big of appetites as when they left!

In honor of one of the greatest men I have even known......I dedicate this post to Jeremy. We have been married now for 18 1/2 years. We have practically grown up together. 

Here is a little background about this man I am honored to love! 

*He is one of two children, both boys.
*He is shy.
*He is intelligent.
*He is fiercely loyal.
*He is overprotective.
*He loves unconditionally.
*He loves God above all.
*He loves to play football.
*He has the best sense of humor.
*He really is a terrific singer (even though I joke about his singing).
*He never knew he wanted a large family.
*He is the one who began pursuing our adoptions....both times.
*He cannot cook.
*He is stubborn.
*He is not afraid to share his true feelings and thoughts.


Our first experience as being parents came when we were so young. We had been married 3 years and then came Kyle.

Notice Jeremy's Bible resting on top of my pillow behind him? That tells you a lot about him.

Then came Micah. Yes, we were all tired!
God blessed us with another pregnancy when Micah was only 8 months old. 

Pregnancies were not easy for me. I depended on Jeremy for so much. My water broke way too early. Rebecca came into this world and it was a very difficult time for us as a new family with a critically ill neonate.
God saw fit to heal her quickly! She came home and Micah struggled to accept his new sister. Daddy to the rescue.
When Rebecca was just 9 months old we were thrilled to be expecting again. But we were scared. After Rebecca's ordeal it was a scary thought. But Ben came only 10 days early!
Then we found out he had spina bifida. 


You can say we grew up fast having precious children with chronic health problems. We realized quickly how difficult life got for us.

Jeremy was a rock! He trusted God for everything. He never hesitated. He made many decisions when I could not. Jeremy took care of all of us. 

Those early years were full of diaper changes (he did as many as me), potty training, and toddler chaos. He loved it though. And he loved me even though I often did not even have a chance to put on make-up or make a great meal for him. It didn't matter. He loved us! There is never a doubt of that.

Then he mentioned to me about adopting from China, our longtime "goal". I was surprised. We already had four kids less than five years apart. But we prayed and overwhelmingly decided to move forward. 

The meeting with our sweet MoMo was very different than the other kids.
She was withdrawn. She was sad. Honestly she was just a shell. But he didn't care. She was ours.
He bonded with her from the very first minute. She tolerated him but hated me. (No worries. She loves all of us now!)
Look at his love for this child!
Adopting an older child is completely different than a small child. 


Again, Jeremy did not care. God called us to adopt Selah. Nothing would ever change the fact that she was ours. This meeting was so hard. She did not hug any of us. In fact, we could feel her pull away.
She was scared. We signed papers in our hotel room.
And more in the notary's office.
We took several sight-seeing trips while in China to help her get to know us better. She still was not all that impressed.
Then we came home.


She began to realize that our love is real. She has begun to trust us. She has learned that Daddy is "safe"! She even can relax a little next to him. Notice the love in his eyes for her? Notice the "safety" she feels?
This is all because of this man I am blessed to be married to. He has literally gone around the world to meet his children and bring them home.

Jeremy is such an example of Christ to our kids. He is not perfect, but they think he is! 

Jeremy has so much respect for me. He still opens my car door (when not buckling a toddler in her car seat). He requires the kids speak respectfully to me and everyone.

As a result my love and respect for him only gets stronger. 

He works long hard hours at the church. Honestly, working in ministry is hard. His whole weekend was filled with ministry events. We had an Upwards award ceremony/cookout on Friday, Praise FM tent sale on Saturday where he was live on the radio all day, then on Father's Day was a concert in the evening for church. The kids and I sit in church and rarely even get to see him from a distance. It is hard. It is lonely. But I know he serves the Lord. Our kids get to see him serve and learn what serving others means.

So on this day after Father's Day I wanted to specially honor my husband. We are perfect for each other! 

I am blessed to witness this life unfolding each and every day. I am blessed to be married to you and call you mine! Thank you for loving us like you do!



Proverbs 17:24 (English Standard Version)
The discerning sets his face toward wisdom, but the eyes of a fool are on the ends of the earth.

1 comment:

  1. I love you guys! You make me feel that there is still hope in this crazy world, keep up you are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete