Monday, June 23, 2014

Mariah's "Gotcha" Anniversary!

Wednesday marked our two year family anniversary with Mariah. Many in the adoption community call this "Gotcha Day". It was an emotional day that June 18th. But we finally had our China baby in our arms! 

I had an unexpected knock on our front door on Wednesday. There was a man standing with this beautiful floral arrangement.
My sweet best friend, Heather, had these delivered in honor of Mariah's "Gotcha Day" anniversary.

On a day where she and her husband were preparing for his surgery, she sent me these flowers! She has remained strong throughout this whole test of their faith.

He had surgery on Thursday to remove a suspicious lump under his chin. Tests and scans were inconclusive. The surgeon was concerned of a possible malignancy. We serve a big God and Heather claimed victory in all of this. The surgeon was cautious but confident he got everything. The test results will come later this week. We pray that God's healing touch claims the victory. He is the Great Physician and we know that healing is possible.

In the past two years we have watched Mariah blossom. She was just a shell of a baby. At 18 months old she could barely walk and weighed only 16 pounds. When she tried to walk her little legs shook terribly.
We were told she took a bottle. Well........she absolutely refused a bottle for us.
She soon began to prefer Jeremy to me.
She would scream if I even came near. It made for interesting bathtime, diaper changes, and bedtimes. I took over all of her personal care. It was exhausting. It was so terribly emotional as I watched this child who I fought so hard reject me. 
I spent hours with her. Still......rejection.

I fed her. Still........rejection.

I played with her. Still.....rejection.

I bathed her. Still.......rejection.

I spent sleepless nights with her when she was sick. Still.......rejection.

But she loved her daddy!
I would rarely get a moment of tolerance from her. Then gradually something like this would happen.
She had surgery after home six months. Jeremy, me and a great friend sat in the waiting room at Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis for her 9 1/2 hour surgery. 
That is when the change really began to happen.

She was in terrible pain.
But she learned something those days in ICU. Mommy was there. I would jump up as soon as someone walked in the door. I was there to comfort her. 

There was a change that took place. She began to freely give me love.
                                       Mother's Day 2013
From there it is history!

She loves Minnie Mouse.

She loves to eat.

She loves her "mimis" (family/families).

As we walked out of church today Ben told Mariah her pink dress was pretty. She responded as usual......"It's my favorite!"

Ben continued and asked her if he was her favorite. 

Mariah: "No! Mommy my favorite!"

Ben: "What about Daddy?"

Mariah: "Nope! Mommy my favorite!"

She then looked at Jeremy and gave a grin. Clearly she loves me but she loves her Daddy and he is the apple of her eye. She just likes to joke and pretend he is not.

We are blessed! She has added so much joy to our lives. She is desperately loved by our other kids!

I know she does not understand the power in the words she speaks. Just tonight (as she does every night) she said, "You're my favorite Mommy!" 

Oh that child melts my heart!



Jeremiah 29:11

For i know the plans that I have for you, says the Lord. Plans of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. 






No comments:

Post a Comment