Saturday, August 4, 2012

Sweet times!

I'll be honest and admit that I don't remember this picture being taken on our Gotcha Day. It was taken by either my hubby or my mom. Aside from my squished (that may be a western Pennsylvania term) nose, this is a sweet picture. This caught the very first kiss that Mariah received from me. You can still see the absence of emotion on her sweet face. Oh, how I loved that moment yet it brings back those raw emotions of her pain. 


I did not give her this kiss right away. I patiently waited for her sobbing to subside a little. Honestly, it probably was still a little too soon for her. We had been waiting for her for 18 months but she certainly was not waiting for us. 


As I reflect on those days in China, I am amazed at the restraint that my parents had. My poor mom and dad were there for our support and they truly meant it. My dad got stuck carrying the huge camera case of the camera that my sister graciously allowed us to take on our trip. It is a joke now but I don't think my dad really enjoyed that! But, they never one time complained. 


They toted luggage through airports for us. They went through the breakfast buffet a few times just to get breakfast for themselves, Mariah, and me. Without them, I don't really know how we would have survived.  Jeremy and my dad have a few inside stories that I'm not sure we will ever be privy to. Mom and I would stay in the hotel rooms and we would send the guys on our errands. They also held the passports and all of our money. Jeremy was the designated money exchange rate person. I honestly could not concentrate on it enough to calculate the exchange rate from RMB to American dollars. I have to admit that it was so nice to just defer to Jeremy. It was funny because my parents began to do the same. 


It is probably Jeremy's fault that mom had to buy an extra suitcase for souvenirs. Jeremy would convince my mom how great the prices were. My mom cannot avoid a great sale. Just ask the sales people at her Peebles. They know her by name! 


So I've ventured off topic here. Probably no surprise for those of you that know me well! That picture at the top of this blog post is one that my sweet husband gave to me after work on Wednesday. He worked on it a little bit and stopped at Walmart on his way home from work and bought a beautiful frame and gave it to me. The writing at the bottom of the picture reads this: 


The two people connected by the red thread are pre-destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstances. This cord may stretch or tangle, but it will never break.


This is an old Chinese Proverb. Of course the red thread spoken of here is invisible. Jeremy and I firmly believe that Mariah was meant to be ours from the very beginning of time. So when Jeremy came home with this sweet picture, I was so touched. Yes, I cried. I just thought it was sweet of him. I think he just feels bad that we have been sick for a while now too.


Mariah and I again stayed home from church on Sunday morning. I decided that Sunday evening might be a good try again. (This is also a pathetic attempt show another picture of our sweet girl!) Can you also tell she is sick?
Well, there was a concert. The Collingsworth Family came and it was packed! That was too much. Mariah was overwhelmed with the entire night. Jeremy and I made the decision that night that I would stay home with her for a while.


We have noticed that Mariah has begun to reach for complete strangers. Not strangers to us, but strangers to her. After it happened several times we realized that she still needs more time for that attachment to occur. At the orphanage, Mariah would reach for anyone who would give her the attention. She did not discriminate from one nanny to another. Here it has to be different. She has to learn that Jeremy and I will now meet the needs that all of all those sweet nannies did before us. This is tough especially when she is reaching from our arms to another person. 


Our agency has recommended we make her world very small. That means we should stay home with her as much as possible. That also means that Jeremy and I should be the only ones holding her. I know how hard this is for our church family who has been so faithful to pray for us. After all, how do you turn from a child that is reaching for you? Especially if this is that child.......
.
All the research has explained that we cannot even begin to expect the true bonding to take place for at least 3 months. I guess we have a way to go.


Mariah is still preferring Jeremy to me. This is really tough for me. I don't think Mariah got the memo that I am mommy and I love to snuggle my kids! It makes me sad that her guard is slightly still up. 


Now you'll think I'm crazy after what I will say next. This child has the absolute sweetest hugs and kisses. She just began this week to wrap her arms around my neck. She has only done this twice with me. However, she has been doing it with Jeremy for a few weeks. She also loves to kiss Jeremy then me back and forth. It is really cute. But she still needs time and that I have!!!


After the concert Sunday night, we were talking with Phil and Kim Collingsworth about Mariah and adoption. I guess Phil told Jeremy we needed to show Mariah to his wife Kim. Evidently she has talked about adopting before. She was so excited to see us and talk about adoption. So maybe I need to pray for that family!! 


When we got home from church, I looked at Mariah's toe. When I bathed her Saturday night I thought her toe looked a little irritated. This is what it looked like Sunday night. I wouldn't exactly call this a little irritated.....
After a quick call to my mom (a retired nurse) and an email containing this photo, we decided she needed to go to the doctor's in the morning. Would you believe that we have yet to hear this child cry for pain? She has fussed a little with pain, but never cried. We have one very tough girl! The nurse practitioner put her on an oral antibiotic. 


I also should mention that we got some of the results back from Mariah's lab work. She has a parasite. We are all certain she has had this for a long time. I am so glad we have not taken her swimming yet. My other kids have been begging us to take her in the pool. This parasite is contagious. She was put on an antibiotic for this as well. 


Along with a terrible stuffy/runny nose, fever, infected toe, a parasite she has not been feeling well, but you would not know it. The stuffy nose doesn't allow her to suck her thumb either. She is not sleeping well.


I went to the doctor Tuesday for a terrible sinus infection I have had for months. I am praying for relief from this soon. I don't think Mariah has much of an immune system. So today (Friday) we went to the healthfood store and bought her a bunch of immune boosters.


In spite of her being sick, she continues almost as if nothing is wrong. Mariah found an empty water jug and claimed it as a toy. Then Micah put her in this cardboard box........
......and pushed her all over the house. She was belly laughing. The lighting was bad as I just grabbed my camera and began to film. 
We are still experiencing some "firsts". I forgot she had never seen my laundry room before. Once I started the washer, she was mesmerized!
Jeremy has a wedding to video tape this weekend. And guess who is staying home? This just means we will have more time to spend bonding. 


As for the wedding......Congratulations Amanda and Cody!!! May God bless your marriage as He has ours! 


I am so thankful for the wonderful God I serve. Only He can truly heal the hearts of the hurting whether it is physical or emotional. Several of my adoption friends are struggling with their little ones. Will you pray for them?


*Meredith's family was able to bring Brooke home after her open-heart    
surgery
*Emily finally was able to bring Lily home after her open heart surgery. 
*Suzanne is in the hospital with Clara after cleft lip/cleft palate repair.
*Heidi is still working hard on bonding with her Mollie. I posted her blog on my Facebook page.
*Karen brought Mariah's orphanage friend home last week and LuXue is still     grieving.

1 comment:

  1. It has been very hard not to interact with her! I don't want to overwhelm her. Hope you all are feeling better soon. Hugs all around!

    ReplyDelete