Saturday, August 25, 2012

Tears and Joy!

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief...and unspeakable love.
                                                                                                                   --Washington Irving


Tears seem to be more frequent for me these days. Maybe it's the post-adoption hormones that seem so similar to the postpartum hormones. My heart seems so tender. I posted on my Facebook page on Sunday about an adoption friend who unexpectedly said her final goodbye to her 22 month old baby girl after only being home from Ch*na for 6 weeks. The funeral was this past Thursday. I am thankful Joanna was able to experience the love of a family which ultimately showed her the love of her Father in Heaven.

Then a sweet family who was adopting from Mariah's orphanage was to have their Gotcha Day on Monday. They found out that their precious boy was hospitalized after they arrived in Beijing. Unfortunately this little boy is too ill to travel home. He actually was still in the hospital and the family never met him. This family's agency was less than helpful and this couple, and their two girls who traveled with them, came back to the United States broken hearted. They are still pursuing this sweet boy and are desperate to bring him home.

Several other friends had unexpected health complications with their new kiddos. My heart breaks as I read the stories of these families. It truly makes me more thankful for my family and I just want to hold on to my kids and husband a little closer. The pages of my prayer journal have filled up in the past few weeks. The neat thing is that many of these sweet people are friends whom I have never met. God has allowed me a special bond to other adoptive families. It seems as though families are under attack and it breaks my heart to watch them suffer.

Now onto a few lighter notes........I am taking a few minutes this evening to look back at our week. This is kind of what I feel like........
Rebecca has told me countless times this week that she thinks I look like this Wonder Woman! Then Jeremy decided to spill the beans about my childhood. When I was about 3 years old I was infatuated with Wonder Woman. I loved to watch Linda Carter on the show. I even went so far to use the cape I had and would spin around in the yard pretending I was this fictitious figure! My kids got a huge laugh out of that. Becca insists that my hair is exactly like this Lego mini-figure. I like to think that I am the modern day Wonder Woman. 

Monday started out trying to convince Mariah that our new "routine" includes church on Sunday. It seems that anything outside of her normal schedule just throws her for a big loop. I worked on our school room then took Kyle to the doctor for his allergy shots. The good news about that is I am officially trained to give him the shots at home now. That really frees up our schedule!!!

Tuesday morning we had a 10am appointment at the orthodontist for Kyle. After three hours of continuous work, the braces are on and look good!
For the next 24-28 months this is what Kyle will look like. He is slowly getting used to his new look. He has a pretty bad malocclusion and he has been the lucky recipient of headgear! Can't believe he is growing up so fast!

Friday was a super long busy day. We all got up around 6am then made the two hour trip to Morgantown to see Ben and Mariah's endocrinologist. Let's just say that Mariah is not the best traveler. She can last for about 25 minutes then the whining, crying, kicking and general unhappiness is in full force. She does not enjoy traveling. She doesn't mind her car seat, it is just the trip itself she hates.We have tried everything. We have videos for her, we reclined her seat, we have a window shade beside her, and we have four kids that surround her and wait on her every single need. Here is the proof of her unhappiness! 
It was not the sun bothering her. It just so happened when I snapped this picture, the sun came in through the front window as Jeremy drove around a sharp bend. She was agitated well before this. Then about 10 minutes before we arrived at Ruby Memorial I looked back and saw this........
Ben was a little confused that he is not the only one seeing the endocrinologist anymore. I'm sure he'll get used to it.
The doctor had us all over the place today. They each had appointments with the doctor. He sent us up for Mariah's ultrasound. Then we were sent to have a bone age x-ray of Ben's hand. Then we were sent down to the lab to have yet more blood work for Mariah. Lastly, we went and had the necessary training for Kyle's allergy shots. PHEW!!!!! It was a busy day.

After all of the appointments we went for a bite to eat. Have I ever mentioned how much I love Chili's? We don't have a Chili's in Parkersburg so this is a treat. This is what happens when you whine and cry almost the entire two hour trip instead of sleeping. She was exhausted but woke up in time to eat!
We both smiled when our server asked us if it was all on one check. We have only eaten out twice since returning from China. Both times we were traveling. Both times our server asked us if it was all on the same check. I guess in our society, we are considered a large family. 

Target followed Chili's. We also do not have a Target nearby. Isn't that a crime? After just a little shopping we loaded up and headed back to Parkersburg. Once again we had an unhappy camper the entire way home. 

Jeremy ran into our neighbor once we got home. Greg works for the railroad and drives this truck each day to work. Sorry for the terrible picture.
Greg said he left for work this morning and looked out his side mirror and saw a sword stuck in the bumper of his truck. He just laughed. I wonder how that happened? This is a very common scene here in our street!
As a small treat to the kids we decided to give in to the peer pressure of families driving SUVs and minivans. Let's just say they were thrilled when we allowed them to choose their own Star Wars figure. Thank you Steve and Joanna for allowing us to steal your idea! 
Left to right is Darth Vader, Padme, Little Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Ahsoka, Clone Trooper, and Princess Leia. As a mom with three boys and at least one girl heavily involved in Star Wars, I also enjoy seeing this. I'm honestly surprised that Jeremy went for this.

When I tell you that Mariah eats everything, I truly mean everything. As I changed a diaper this week I discovered that Polly Pocket's clothes can be eaten and remain unchanged once they pass through a certain toddler's body. We are beginning to rethink this whole crib thing too. What am I supposed to do with a toddler that literally eats her crib?
There is a huge chunk gone from her crib! It is no where to be found. I assume Mariah has consumed this as well. Really??????

Here is hoping to an uneventful week. That is unlikely around here. I know there are haircuts for my girls and dentist appointments for four of us this week. School begins the day after Labor Day.













No comments:

Post a Comment