Sunday, September 30, 2012

The dentist......again!

The picture above is actually how our week ended. Mariah had her first dentist visit. Not really for a cleaning but for a check-up. We needed to know if her teeth were healthy or needed a little help.

Mariah was happy to play, at first.
  
Then she realized something was not quite right.
She had to sit with me now. Can you see the fear? It really was so sad.
And so the fun begins!
Our dentist is such a sweet Christian man. He is also in the process of adopting and has shared his story with us before even telling anyone else. So, it was unprecedented that he brought the treasure chest into the room for Mariah to choose her toy. Thank you Dr. Powers! You are the very best!
So, now to go back to the beginning of our week. On Monday I had to take Kyle to the pediatrician's office to get his allergy shot. I normally give them but this was a new set of injections, so we have to have those done in the doctor's office. When we walked into the busy waiting room, guess who we saw........Dr. Power's with his kids! This is probably the forth or fifth time we have run into him there. We do make quite the scene everywhere we go. Mariah and her Squeaky shoes are the "attention-getters".

Tuesday was supposed to be a low-key day spent home schooling. However, Ben had me up for part of the night complaining of his tooth hurting. This persisted through breakfast and I called Dr. Powers. They told us to bring him in immediately but be prepared to have the tooth pulled. Of course, that was my secret.

Since this is the same tooth that had a filling this spring, there was really no option. After an x-ray, there was no real decision. There was infection and the tooth had to come out. Poor Ben. I feel like he can't catch a break. In Dr. Powers' words, "the tooth just slid out"! It wasn't quite that easy but the job was completed and we were home for lunch.

Sweet Mariah is still running a low grade temp. Our pediatrician's office has no idea what is going on. A repeat urinalysis was negative for infection. We were deferred to our endocrinologist. He consulted an infectious disease doctor and the additional labs were ordered.

Thursday morning, I ran Mariah down to Camden-Clark and had her blood drawn. I was worried since WVU hospital had a tough time with her labs. As usual, Mariah charmed everyone there and the lady successfully drew her blood. The lab did beautifully! Thank you Camden-Clark for a fantastic job!

Monday was shots and fever check at pediatrician's office. Tuesday was an unexpected dentist visit. Wednesday was spent at home for school. Thursday, I took Mariah for her monthly blood work. Friday was back at the dentist for Mariah's check-up. Really a pretty normal week for us.

We received an extremely exciting piece of mail this week too. Here it is.....
We filed our paperwork for readoption several weeks ago. We finally got the adoption decree for Mariah. This was not necessary but we wanted a paper trail for her in the states. If we lost her Chinese birth certificate, it was made very clear to us that it is impossible to get another. This legally changed her name to Mariah Claire LuPing Kaminski!

I will say this, we had to get an attorney involved to help with our post-adoption requirements. This is why we expedited our readoption paperwork. We are emotionally exhausted after trying to resolve this matter. We should not have to worry about this once home with a new baby. We still are attempting to establish meaningful communication with them again. I will leave things at that concerning our home study agency. 

We also have decided that Cincinnati Children's is not the right place for Mariah to receive her surgery. I have spent hours researching doctors. I spoke with several families the past few weeks and one doctor's name kept coming up, Dr. Rink. The phone call was made to start the process to get her in to Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis, IN.

We are confident this is the right choice for Mariah. Dr. Rink is one of the top two doctors in the world specializing in her specific surgery. The other doctor is in NY. Dr. Rink is just a little closer to us.  He will be calling me in the next couple of weeks and we should have a clear plan. We are blessed to have found him and live close enough to even consider him as Mariah's doctor.

I enjoyed a few minutes at the piano with a little one who loved to press all of those programming keys. I'm not even sure how she did some of that.
On a really great note, my sweet Mariah began to give me hundreds of unsolicited kisses! I was shocked. Normally, I ask for a kiss and she obliges. However, this week Mariah just started offering them to me for free! She also began to cautiously lie her sweet head on my shoulder. Even if it is just for a few seconds, it is progress for sure.

Even though I am ashamed to show this picture, I hope you understand why I am so far behind. My ironing is out of control right now. Keep in mind that my sister gave me a bunch of clothes for Ben and many of the khakis and shirts must be ironed. The rest is just my normal amount for about 4 weeks.This is a task that I clearly do not enjoy. Mom, can you come down and iron for me? Pretty pathetic I know. But she would come if I really asked. I love my mom! Better yet, she loves to iron. 
I shared this picture below on my Facebook page as well but it was noteworthy. Rebecca took this spot on one of my white boards and spent time drawing me. I was greeted with this one morning when we began school. It was so sweet. I wish I was as skinny as she depicted! She is never one to shy away from telling me how much she loves me. She even wrote, "I Love Mom" at the hem of my jeans. And she put me in red shoes! For those of you who don't know red has always been my favorite color, hence my wedding colors!
Have a great week and I'll make an honest effort at all of that ironing providing there are no teeth to be pulled, blood to be drawn, or shots to be given at the doctor's office!


No comments:

Post a Comment